Friday, December 1, 2017

The Temple of Victory

While hunting deep within a distant forest
Mikos came upon a long forgotten glen.
He watched lizards take refuge in the rubble
Of the moss-shrouded ruins of a shrine.
A serpent wriggled its speckled death
Into a crevice in the foundation.
Stone columns lay scattered like jackstraws.
Amidst the shattered wreckage of its roof
The statue of a Goddess lay broken
And wingless amid an embrace of vines.

A man in rags sat upon the altar.
His skin looked cracked and dead as autumn leaves,
His frame driftwood gaunt and his beard ash-grey,
But his eyes blazed with mind-consuming hatred
"Whose temple was this?"  Mikos wondered
Aloud as his eyes surveyed the ruins.
"Goddess Nike's," its guardian snarled contemptuously
"Flush with the pride of victory and youth I raised it
To her to humble and taunt my rival."
Suddenly, a woman's mocking laughter could be heard.

The old man winced.  "While I paid her this homage,
My vanquished foe found new resolve and trained
To challenge me again.  She favored him this time.
The teeth of his rage left me bloodied and defeated.
My joy now is to remain here until I die,
Watching her temple crumble like the dream
That I'd pursued and won, a victory I'd labored
To commemorate with this shrine of stone."
The angry ancient sighed, then scowled as a woman's
Taunting laughter again echoed through the bitter glen.

No comments:

Post a Comment